andy, paul,

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 6:26 AM, Andy Green <andy.gr...@linaro.org> wrote:

> Nicolas already gave a rundown but the short answer is the ROM can drive
> the MMC hardware of the OMAP4, talk SD-HC protocol, parse your partition
> table and FAT filesystem on your SD Card, and will load and execute a file
> of the magic name "MLO" on partition 1.
>
> That is "x-loader", which sets stuff up and loads and executes a magic file
> "u-boot.bin" off partition 1.  And "u-boot" does its usual thing from then
> on.

unlike MLO filename which is hardcoded in the ROM code (hence cannot change)
the 'u-boot.bin' is coded in x-loader and is manageable. as it turns out ROM
code needs to be able to read FAT/SD, x-loader needs that too (to load
u-boot), and u-boot as well ;-) how funny...

> ROM being ROM, it can't be upgraded, however, unlike in OMAP3 the ROM in
> OMAP4 stuff seems pretty much perfect for SD Card boot case, it doesn't care
> about any arcane stuff like geometry for example.  It only needs to success
> to pull MLO reliably and anything further can be done there in an
> upgradeable way.

yes, some OMAP3 problems were fixed in the OMAP4 ROM code based on the
feedback from linux/SD card users.

> Of course, it'll pull anything called MLO.  I believe folks are working on
> adding stuff to be able to call U-Boot "MLO" directly eliminating x-loader
> and Matt Hsu and I already did that for Qi.

one clarification: the u-boot MLO project is just about the capabilities of
rebuilding MLO from u-boot sources. in fact MLO is a 'tiny uboot'. so
instead of duplicating the source tree for x-loader as it stands today, the
idea is to have a mlo config in uboot and rebuild this tiny uboot from uboot
sources so that there is no need to maintain 2 MMC driver for example. you
will still get a 2-stage bootloader.

>  So, it would be nice if you could suggest Android team which
>> repo/branch/tag/revision can be safely used to produce releases.
>>

> Yeah confusing ain't it.  There are two camps in x-loader development one
> on omapzoom and one on gitorious.  TI engineers like omapzoom but the
> official repo is gitorious.

i don't think it's a TI vs others issue. TI has been pushing for a mailing
xloader because there is a lot of confusion on this topic. the clean
mainline tree started after the android xloader and is still lacking behind.
if community/TI is able to bring mainline x-loader to the same level of
features has the omapzoom one, I am pretty sure that the migration can
happen.