Sorry, should have included this in my last reply.

Dave Martin <dave.mar...@linaro.org> writes:
>> Also, remember this whole discussion is just to print a message and exit
>> nicely
>> in the case of someone using a currently incredibly rare function on an old
>> kernel!
>
> I'd say we want to notify the operating environment and/or the user.  This
> may be realised by writing some text to stderr, but that's not useful in
> the context of GUI environments.

Shouldn't a decent GUI environment be able to catch these kinds of
errors and log them though?

One problem with early write()s is that we can't do any locale-specific
translation.  The message is always going to be in English.  That's
something that the VSO approach solves for free, because it's then
up to libc or the dynamic loader to print a suitable message.

Richard