On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 09:07:19AM +0300, Fathi Boudra wrote:
> > What are we using to measure these improvements? What is the -turbo
> > lib being used for?
>
> We use tjbench to measure the improvements. The browsers
> (firefox/chromium) is a use case mentioned on the roadmap but I didn't
> have seen any results.  Tom knows more.
>
> >> Debian/Ubuntu P are going to move to libjpeg8 by default making
> >> current package obsolete in the future.
> >
> > Note that when we asked Darrell about this he questioned the performance
> > benefits of version 8. Mans probably knows more. At any rate, -turbo as
> > an upstream is the only sane decision.
> >
> > Who is making the choice from the Ubuntu side -- and is there a bug open
> > for this?
>
> Bill Allombert is libjpeg Debian maintainer. At the moment, Ubuntu is
> following Debian.  There isn't any bug open as the transition didn't
> started yet.

I think Tom and Ricardo should probably talk to Bill about it; I see
this as being a very questionable move. I'd much rather move to seeing
libjpeg deprecated into a libjpeg-legacy-8b package for good and -turbo
become the actual system version.
--
Christian Robottom Reis, Engineering VP
Brazil (GMT-3) | [+55] 16 9112 6430 | [+1] 612 216 4935