On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Christian Robottom Reis <k...@linaro.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 08:44:01AM +0300, Fathi Boudra wrote:

>> > There is no benefit to v8.  v7 added support for the rarely/never used
>> > arithmetic coding option, left out of earlier versions due to patent
>> > issues.  Since nobody uses this mode, supporting it is irrelevant.
>> > v8 only adds some experimental, non-standard coding options even less
>> > relevant to any real-world uses.  What is relevant is, however, that
>> > v8 is significantly slower than v6 in the default configuration.  I
>> > don't remember if this slowdown was present already in v7.
>>
>> According to Bill Allombert, v8 support more image format and provide
>> a higher image quality.
>
> I really question this statement based on what Mans and Darrell have
> both said (a number of times now). Where is the hard data that shows
> this is true?

Sounds like there needs to be a discussion with Bill. I would be
interested how he is measuring image "quality.

--
Regards,
Tom

"We want great men who, when fortune frowns will not be discouraged."
- Colonel Henry Knox
Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs
w) tom.gall att linaro.org
w) tom_gall att vnet.ibm.com
h) tom_gall att mac.com