Hi Matt,

Say what version of ubuntu are you building this on?  Would it be
possible to get a complete log?

I just installed the 3.0~a40.1-1linaro13~maverick5 version of
live-build out of my ppa which is referenced in the wiki page onto a
"clean" oneiric machine. The cross build completed successfully.

qemu or perl issues are possible and for completeness here are the
versions of each I have installed on my box that just ran to
successful completion:

perl                5.12.4-4
qemu-user-static    1.0-2011.12-0ubuntu1~ppa11.10.1

Thanks,
Tom

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Matt Waddel <matt.wad...@linaro.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have encountered a failure running live-build that I could use
> some help debugging.
>
> Using the instructions in the LiveBuild wiki page:
>
> https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/DevPlatform/CrossCompile/LiveBuild
>
> the procedure fails during the adduser step. The failure is:
>
> I: create linaro user
> Can't set $0 with prctl(): Bad address at /usr/sbin/adduser line 86.
>
> Here is the perl code around line 86 in adduser:
> ----
> my %config;                     # configuration hash
>
> my @defaults = ("/etc/adduser.conf");
> my $nogroup_id = getgrnam("nogroup") || 65534;
> $0 =~ s+.*/++;                  <<<<<<<<< Line 86 >>>>>>>>>>>
> ----
>
> This is the call to adduser from the 01-setup_user_linaro.chroot
> script that causes the problem:
>
> adduser --gecos linaro --disabled-login linaro
>
> The funny thing about this failure, if I chroot into the build
> area and run that command manually, everything works fine.
>
> 1st, what is that perl command doing?
> 2nd, anybody have any ideas on what would cause this failure?
>
> TIA,
> Matt

Regards,
Tom

"Where's the kaboom!? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering
kaboom!" Marvin Martian
Multimedia Tech Lead | Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs
w) tom.gall att linaro.org
w) tom_gall att vnet.ibm.com
h) tom_gall att mac.com