On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Loïc Minier <loic.min...@linaro.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012, Alexander Sack wrote:
>>  * hide people/ trees and show them on people.git.linaro.org instead
>> of main git.linaro.org. At best git:// urls would be valid still
>> aftterwards
>>  * hide the android/ trees and don't show them anywhere else; keep
>> git:// urls and/or http:// clone urls wprking too
>>
>> This would definitely air to breath and we can continue to improve
>> things from there.
>
>  The arago-project layout seems nicer, effectively just hiding subtrees

Yeah. That makes sense. Happy if we get that.

>>                             As one example, ubuntu packages having a
>> vcs-bzr field and a reasonable tagging/versioning scheme could
>> probably work, but we have to look case by case.
>
>  Problem is that a Vcs-* field is not consistently applied   :-/

Right. But I don't think it matters much, no?. Release Team will work
with folks to sort out the details. And if they decide that release
team will track Vcs- fields for mining the source info for ubuntu
packages, we probably would ensure that it's consistently applied for
the packages we care about :).

>  Sometimes it's not set, or doesn't point at the right repo, or points
>  at a repo with a special tree where people have to do magic to get
>  things done.

I see three main problems to solve:

 1. How do I find the vcs component for this source component?
 2. How can I hack on this tree and how does this tree work?
 3. What trees/tags/components are in the LEB?

Point 1. can be solved through the release team working with component
owners and sourcing the location of the tree used to produce a
component/package

Point 2. can be solved by the tree owner through maintaining good
documentation on the git repo main gitweb page that explains in simple
instructions how things work. For example:

 a. how the trees are produced
 b. what tag/branch syntax rules apply
 c. how to hack and contribute to this tree
 d. how to participate in meetings where this baseline is on topic to
discuss....

Point 3. could be addressed by providing an explicit list of
integrated/improved components alongside the LEB (on top of the usual
android repo info etc.) to make this easier.

--
Alexander Sack
Technical Director, Linaro Platform Teams