On 01/24/2012 10:01 AM, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 12:59:33PM -0200, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 09:29:34AM -0500, Chris Lalancette wrote:
(I'm aware that there is a thread on linaro-dev discussing this
exact topic; this is a request for specific information, so I
decided to start a new thread)

Hello,
      As has been pointed out elsewhere, it is very difficult to find
the exact git tree that corresponds to a kernel release.  Currently
the problem I am having is that the 11.11 linaro kernel release
(linux-linaro-lt-omap_3.1.0-1402.5~oneiric1) works well on my new
board, but later kernels do not.  While I can download the kernel
tarball for 3.1.0-1402.5 from launchpad, I would much prefer to use
the git tree that it was produced from.  Can anybody tell me exactly
which git tree was used to create that kernel, and which tag/branch
I should be looking at?

That's a really good question. The answer is that it's this tag and
branch:

     linux-release-2011-12
     http://git.linaro.org/git/landing-teams/leb/ti/kernel.git

Sorry, for 11.11 that's tag linux-release-2011-11-1 -- you can see all
the tags here:

     http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=landing-teams/leb/ti/kernel.git;a=summary

Thanks, that is enormously helpful. Though doing a "diff -Nurp" between leb/ti/kernel.git (tag linux-release-2011-11-1) and the tarball that I pulled from launchpad (https://launchpad.net/~linaro-maintainers/+archive/overlay/+files/linux-linaro-lt-omap_3.1.0-1402.5%7Eoneiric1.tar.gz), these two trees aren't exactly the same. They are *mostly* the same, and most of the changes look like they'll be benign to me, but it is a bit disconcerting.

In terms of finding things in the future, I have to say that there is a bit of a forest of git trees in linaro. At the very least, I would make sure that the .dsc file in the released deb points to the correct tree+tag that it was generated from. Beyond that, I would recommend:

1) Attempt to reduce the number of trees on git.linaro.org. I understand that there is probably a lot going on, but the sheer number of trees makes it confusing. It might be a good idea to remove some of the very stale or no longer active trees.

2) Document on the wiki where the releases are built from, so there is a running record per release

Thanks again,
--
Chris Lalancette