Hi David

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM, David Cullen
<david.cul...@koe-americas.com> wrote:
> Hello, Tom,
>
> I have replies inline below, but ultimately, I am really trying to
> figure out how are the Linaro devs building these files:
>
>     http://releases.linaro.org/12.06/ubuntu/leb-panda/

Sure thing. This helps.

> On 7/2/2012 1:30 PM, Tom Gall wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 11:52 AM, David Cullen
>> <david.cul...@koe-americas.com> wrote:
>>> Hello, linaro-dev,
>>>
>>> I am trying to follow the instructions at
>>>
>>>     https://wiki.linaro.org/Source/ImageBuilding
>>
>> Hmm those instructions look a bit out of date and I suspect that's why
>> you're having issues. I sure hope your build system doesn't date back
>> to lucid for instance! :-)
>
> I was working with the OMAP3 EVM software from the TI site.  Their
> instructions said that the only platform known to work with their
> software was Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop 32-bit.

That "should" work fine. What's important for cross assembling your
own images is that qemu is reasonably up to date. Lucid is getting
fairly old now. Speaking for myself I haven't built anything on lucid
for some time.

> I can switch to an Ubuntu 12.04 Server VM; but for cross-builds, it
> shouldn't make much difference.

I think this would be worthwhile looking into.

>> That said, are you running this native on arm hardware or cross on intel?
>
> I am trying to do a cross-build using the Linaro toolchain.

Ok.  One thing to note. When using live build it doesn't actually
build the packages, it just assembles images. It uses .debs which are
found in all the various archives (including your own) to accomplish
this.

>> If cross, here's what I do :  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TomGall/CrossBuild
>
> It worries me that your instructions are not merged with the Linaro
> wiki.  Is there some good reason for this?

I'm a former Linaro assignee from IBM. The instructions also live here:

https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/DevPlatform/CrossCompile/LiveBuild

(which I also wrote). I don't know if I will get to keep my
wiki.linaro.org space yet, but if I do,  then I'll keep the master
copy on the linaro wiki and copy from my latest draft version to the
official wiki as the Linaro.

So that's the reason. It'll get sorted out very soon.

>> If native steps are pretty much the same. Be careful what directory
>> you start the build in and that you've run the conf_create.sh IE
>>
>> bzr branch
>> lp:~linaro-maintainers/linaro/live-helper.config.precise.ubuntu-desktop
>> config
>> cp config/conf_create.sh .
>> sh conf_create.sh
>> lb build
>>
>> Looking at
>> lp:~linaro-maintainers/linaro/live-helper.config.precise.ubuntu-desktop
>> however I don't see much activity so I'm slightly concerned that it
>> might not be up entirely to date. Should be fine but if you run into
>> problems, please post.
>
> I got the link from here:
>
>     https://code.launchpad.net/~linaro-maintainers/linaro
>
> But the "Last Modified" date is "2012-01-06" which does not inspire
> confidence.
>
>> Hopefully someone from dev platforms will speak up.
>
> What is the difference between .nano and .developer?

Nano is mean to be a minimal system.

Developer builds on top of that and includes a number of tools for
building software. Both Nano and Developer do not include a GUI.

> --
> Thank you,
> David Cullen

Hope that helps!

--
Regards,
Tom

"Where's the kaboom!? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering
kaboom!" Marvin Martian
Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs
w) tom_gall att vnet.ibm.com
h) tom_gall att mac.com
h) tom.gall att linaro.org