Matthias Klose <d...@ubuntu.com> wrote on 08/02/2010 06:25:58 PM:

> this is no "cheating".  It makes the packages robust. Remember that some
> frontends are built from different source packages and that a
> gnat-4.4 (4.4.4) still needs to be buildable with a gnat-4.4 (4.4.3)
> and an already updated gcc-4.4 (4.4.4).

So the problem that is you want to support a setup where a "gcc" driver
installed from a 4.4.4 build can still call and run a "gnat1" binary
installed from a 4.4.3 build?  That will most likely work.

But it still seems a bit fragile to me; in general, there's no guarantee
that if you intermix 4.4.4 and 4.4.3 components in that way, everything
actually works (that's why they use different directories in the first
place).

If you want to have separate packages, a cleaner way would appear to be to
make them fully self-contained, e.g. have them each provide their own
driver that can be called separately.

> Of course linaro could build all frontends from one source, but then the
two
> following issues have to be addressed:
>
>   - gcj/libjava has to be built in arm mode even if gcc defaults
>     to thumb mode.
>
>   - build gnat from the linaro sources (this may be a problem with the
>     bootstrap compiler, didn't investigate yet).

These sound like problems that ought to be addessed in any case ...

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best Regards

Ulrich Weigand

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand | Phone: +49-7031/16-3727
  STSM, GNU compiler and toolchain for Linux on System z and Cell/B.E.