Matthias Klose <d...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 04.08.2010 16:55, Ulrich Weigand wrote:
> > The issues I'm thinking of are things like: suppose the 4.4.4
middle-end
> > adds code that generates calls to some new libgcc library function,
which
> > itself was added with the 4.4.4 libgcc.  If you now mix-and-match
components
> > so that a compiler built from the 4.4.4 sources and using the new
middle-end
> > is used together with a libgcc built from the 4.4.3 sources, things
will
> > break.
>
> libgcc is always built from the sources which get uploaded first.

Ah, OK.  It seems this should work fine then.

> sure, you could have separate packages for subminor versions, and
introduce a
> new dependency package for the minor version (gcc-4.4-defaults), but
> I don't see how this would help within the context of the distribution.

Going back, the question I was trying to answer is how to set up packages
such that they can use the original upstream directory naming scheme, but
still allow the package build sequences that you need.  My suggestion was
simply about a possible way to achieve that; nothing more.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best Regards

Ulrich Weigand

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand | Phone: +49-7031/16-3727
  STSM, GNU compiler and toolchain for Linux on System z and Cell/B.E.