On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 04:23:01PM -0600, John Rigby wrote:
> Thanks Michael.  Just wanted to make sure I understood.  The "do no
> harm" goal and the Thumb2 libgcc seem to be somewhat contradictory
> however.  I realize that choices need to be made and only odd ducks
> like me will likely run into issues.  My particular case is wanting to
> build u-boot for old and new ARM chips with the same gcc.  U-Boot has
> its own libgcc that I can use as a work around.

However, the "harm" here comes not from any work the Linaro Toolchain WG is
doing, it comes from the fact that you're using the Ubuntu toolchain
packages, where ARMv7 is targeted as the baseline - and this was the case
even before Linaro was off the ground. :)  (Even if libgcc were not Thumb2
enabled, you could still have arbitrary, if more subtle, compatibility
problems with the Ubuntu armel libgcc and non-ARMv7 chips.)

It sounds like what you need for this is a multilib-enabled armel compiler
build, that includes a libgcc build for ARMv7 as well as separate libgcc
builds for whichever other ARM targets you're after.  You should coordinate
this with Marcin (cc:ed), who can help with the toolchain packaging details
for either a native or cross- compiler.

OOI, what are the U-Boot targets you're looking to build for that don't
support ARMv7?  A gcc multilib package for armel will be easy to implement
but hard to maintain, and certainly none of the systems Linaro is targeting
should require a pre-Thumb-2 U-Boot, so I'm very doubtful that the ongoing
effort to maintain such a toolchain in Ubuntu is justified (unless we find
that it becomes substantially easier with multiarch, I guess, but we're a
ways away from that yet).

Cheers,
slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org