On 07/21/2011 08:49 PM, Diane Holt wrote:
> Valgrind wants a less stripped ld-2.12.1.so or it won't work. The build
> process (that Michael Hope put together) just downloads the
> libc6_2.12.1-0ubuntu6_armel.deb, and the ld-2.12.1.so in there is fully
> stripped. I thought I'd be able to just get the
> libc6-dbg_2.12.1-0ubuntu6_armel.deb instead, thinking that was just the
> pre-stripped version of these libs -- but apparently it's not, because
> trying to use those libs instead of the stripped ones results in undefined
> symbols.

the files in /usr/lib/debug are built with objcopy --only-keep-debug, so only
include the debug info. the stripped files get a debug link added (objcopy
--add-gnu-debuglink).

 For example, ld-2.12.1.so defines _rtld_global -- but
> libc-2.12.1.so is looking for _rtld_global@@GLIBC_PRIVATE, so
> _rtld_global@@GLIBC_PRIVATE
> ends up undefined. (Ditto for __tls_get_addr, __libc_enable_secure,
> _dl_argv, etc.)
>
> I'm not sure who actually builds these packages (they're retrieved from:
> http://ports.ubuntu.com/pool/main/e/eglibc/), but if anyone has any
> suggestions on how to get past this, I'd be most appreciative.

Did that work in the past?

Can valgrind handle detached debug information? If not, then maybe call dh_strip
in the eglibc package with -Xld-2.13.so

  Matthias