On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Matthias Klose <d...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> the files in /usr/lib/debug are built with objcopy --only-keep-debug, so
> only
> include the debug info. the stripped files get a debug link added (objcopy
> --add-gnu-debuglink).

Well, that would explain that :(   I had assumed they were just the full,
unstripped versions of the libs. Would those be available from anywhere?

> Did that work in the past?

What worked in the past was having a loader lib that wasn't stripped (we
would later do a 'strip --strip-unneeded --strip-debug' on it, which is fine
-- it's just when it's completely stripped of all symbols that valgrind
can't function). That's when we were using the 4.4.1 from CodeSourcery (none
of the libs are stripped). Switching to linaro means I have to build the
toolchain myself, and its build just picks up the libs from the
libc6_2.12.1-0ubuntu6_armel.deb package, and those libs are fully stripped.

Can valgrind handle detached debug information?

I doubt it (can't think how that would work... but I'm open to suggestions).

> If not, then maybe call dh_strip in the eglibc package with -Xld-2.13.so

I'm not building eglibc -- the linaro build process doesn't include doing
that, and I don't have any information on how
libc6_2.12.1-0ubuntu6_armel.deb (what the linaro build process uses) was
built.

Thanks,
Diane