Hi Jan,

On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 at 09:05, Jan Beulich <jbeul...@suse.com> wrote:

> On 23.02.2024 15:24, ci_not...@linaro.org wrote:
> > Dear contributor, our automatic CI has detected problems related to your
> > patch(es).  Please find some details below.  If you have any questions,
> > please follow up on linaro-toolchain@lists.linaro.org mailing list,
> > Libera's #linaro-tcwg channel, or ping your favourite Linaro toolchain
> > developer on the usual project channel.
> >
> > We appreciate that it might be difficult to find the necessary logs or
> > reproduce the issue locally. If you can't get what you need from our CI
> > within minutes, let us know and we will be happy to help.
>
> So: The specific failure observed makes me guess that in the course of
> building generated files (opcodes/aarch64-*-2.c) aren't re-generated. If
> this is indeed the case, sending out such unsolicited emails (I've had a
> 2nd one in the meantime, for whatever reason) is a waste of everybody's
> time, even more so when not clearly indicating that fact, such that
> - quoting above - it is possible "within minutes" to understand what's
> going on / wrong.
>
> IOW - unless clarified I'm going to assume that the report here is a
> false negative.

Sorry if these messages weren't helpful.

You are right, the reason for the failures is that these aarch64 files
are not regenerated, because our CI does not currently enable
maintainer-mode.

We've known that for some time already, and I started working on that
recently. Unfortunately, it turns out it's not as simple as adding
--enable-maintainer-mode in our build script. I've been chasing random
build errors with maintainer-mode enable, at this stage I suspect a
race condition in binutils' top-level Makefile leading to regenerating
some files several times concurrently, leading to corrupt output.
Hopefully I'll manage to track this down and fix it. Otherwise we'd
send random regression notifications, which would be even more
confusing.

Note that we want to enable maintainer-mode in "precommit" CI only,
not in the postcommit one, were we want to build & check patches as
they were committed to the repo, not "as they should have been".

Regarding the 2 messages you received, you can notice that they point
to 2 different patchwork threads:
https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/binutils/list/?series=31217
https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/binutils/list/?series=31252

so ISTM it's normal that the CI started 2 independent validations.

We do have several things in place to avoid sending duplicate notifications.

Thanks for your message, it helps us confirm what we have to improve.

Christophe