On 26.02.2024 10:08, Christophe Lyon wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 at 09:05, Jan Beulich <jbeul...@suse.com> wrote:
>> On 23.02.2024 15:24, ci_not...@linaro.org wrote:
>>> Dear contributor, our automatic CI has detected problems related to your
>>> patch(es).  Please find some details below.  If you have any questions,
>>> please follow up on linaro-toolchain@lists.linaro.org mailing list,
>>> Libera's #linaro-tcwg channel, or ping your favourite Linaro toolchain
>>> developer on the usual project channel.
>>>
>>> We appreciate that it might be difficult to find the necessary logs or
>>> reproduce the issue locally. If you can't get what you need from our CI
>>> within minutes, let us know and we will be happy to help.
>>
>> So: The specific failure observed makes me guess that in the course of
>> building generated files (opcodes/aarch64-*-2.c) aren't re-generated. If
>> this is indeed the case, sending out such unsolicited emails (I've had a
>> 2nd one in the meantime, for whatever reason) is a waste of everybody's
>> time, even more so when not clearly indicating that fact, such that
>> - quoting above - it is possible "within minutes" to understand what's
>> going on / wrong.
>>
>> IOW - unless clarified I'm going to assume that the report here is a
>> false negative.
>>

> Sorry if these messages weren't helpful.
>
> You are right, the reason for the failures is that these aarch64 files
> are not regenerated, because our CI does not currently enable
> maintainer-mode.
>
> We've known that for some time already, and I started working on that
> recently. Unfortunately, it turns out it's not as simple as adding
> --enable-maintainer-mode in our build script. I've been chasing random
> build errors with maintainer-mode enable, at this stage I suspect a
> race condition in binutils' top-level Makefile leading to regenerating
> some files several times concurrently, leading to corrupt output.
> Hopefully I'll manage to track this down and fix it. Otherwise we'd
> send random regression notifications, which would be even more
> confusing.

Right, and I try to stay away from maintainer mode, too, I have to
confess. Instead I carry a local patch removing just a few of the
@MAINT@ that are getting in the way.

In any event, may I ask that it be clarified in the emails that failure
may be due to the lack of re-generation of files, until such time that
the issue is under control?

> Note that we want to enable maintainer-mode in "precommit" CI only,
> not in the postcommit one, were we want to build & check patches as
> they were committed to the repo, not "as they should have been".

Of course.

> Regarding the 2 messages you received, you can notice that they point
> to 2 different patchwork threads:
> https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/binutils/list/?series=31217
> https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/binutils/list/?series=31252
>
> so ISTM it's normal that the CI started 2 independent validations.

Hmm, no. The 2nd was about
https://patchwork.sourceware.org/patch/86275
which is
https://patchwork.sourceware.org/patch/86276
short of one patch. So still odd.

The first of the two links you provided is actually an entirely different
series by a different author.

Jan