These are very valid points, but I think there's a much bigger plastics
problem with takeout containers. The translucent cylindrical soup
containers and the black trays with clear lids are piling up in everyone's
kitchen. I understand that black plastic can't be recycled at all, but I'm
unclear (no pun intended) about the soup containers. We save all of them
for leftovers but we have only so much space in the cabinet. Does anyone
know of any place that will take these containers for some other use?

Also, is there any sentiment among environmentalists for pressuring
restaurants to go back to the aluminum trays with cardboard lids? I don't
think there's a viable non-plastic alternative for liquids but it would be
great if we could revert to the old-fashioned containers for the solids.
And yes, I know, the real answer is that we should just not do
pickup/takeout at all, but especially in the Covid era, I don't think
that's realistic for most people.

Alice Waugh