I just skimmed over the 2015 report which is the foundation for what
we are discussing.

That report tried to steer people away from the Lincoln Station area.
One of the six options was to build on the commuter rail parking lot
and include an underground parking garage (the most expensive kind of
parking) to make up for lost parking.  Since then COVID killed
commuter rail.  The parking lot is just another town-owned vacant lot.

When you take the cost of an underground garage out of the picture,
the commuter rail parking lot becomes the cheapest building site (in
2015 dollars, and including the cost of renovating Hartwell facilities
that don't move).  It has the advantage of being near shops, Codman,
and Lincoln Woods.  We might end up with a community center rather
than a place one drives to and drives home from.