My understanding is that the Red Cross bin is best for clothing in decent
shape that can quickly be distributed to disaster victims and the like. The
Bay State Textiles bin takes any kind of clean/dry textile -- clothing new
and worn, shoes, towels, sheets, rags, etc. They repurpose them depending
on the type and condition of the donation. See This Lincoln Squirrel story
for more info (scroll down to "Textiles"):

“Where does it all go?” Part 3: Recycling beyond single-stream

Alice Waugh