Reinforcing Lynne's point - there are not insignificant costs req'd of
re-use of existing buildings- especially those anticipating assembly type
spaces with higher use and occupancy.
These start w/ the design team fees for professional assessment and
recommendations to which cost estimates must be produced. The various
building system upgrades required to meet and satisfy current building,
energy, plumbing codes and more oftentimes (quite easily) exceed the
threshold by which MA Building Code then (rightfully so) requires
accessibility upgrades- including improvements to site, entries,
provision/install of an accessible elevator, toilet room resizing for added
fixtures and increased clearances, new building and room signage, revised
mounting height of fire alarm devices, light switches throughout -
and more. None of this invalidates the potential reuse of existing
buildings, only the thinking that this alternative is a 'slam-dunk' for
significant cost savings.
Michael Dembowski
Conant Road