This issue isn't affecting Lincoln in a bubble.   Almost all cities/towns
affected by the act are likely to comply.

If Lincoln chooses not to comply:

- new development would still have to go through the onerous process of
town meeting
- development opportunities in surrounding towns would have much less
process to deal with
- Lincoln would suffer from the penalties on non-compliance, losing out on
significant state-aid

Given this, I think developers would bypass Lincoln completely, instead
focusing on areas where there is less red-tape and more project certainty.

And, if that happens, we don't end up with %15+ affordable housing, or %10
- most likely there would be no new development, thus %0 affordable.

If we *do comply*, there's no reason to think developers will descend on
Lincoln like predators, given that opportunities will be opening up in most
MBTA-sited cities and towns.  We will just be one prospective candidate
among many, with a limited supply of investment capital.  And, I would
expect many, if not most localities, will present more attractive
development opportunities than our little town.

-Bob

‪On Fri, Nov 17, 2023 at 10:05 AM ‫ٍSarah Postlethwait‬‎ <sa...@bayhas.com>