It is a false choice to present the issue as one of compliance versus not.
There are different ways of complying that do not require giving away the
town to developers. Rezoning large swaths of prime area for HCA compliance
equates to giving up on the town's longstanding mission of providing truly
affordable housing, preserving the environment, and maintaining Lincoln's
hard-fought uniqueness. Are we now ready to throw these worthy goals away
to compete against other towns to attract developers? Is town-meeting
really that onerous when Civico was able to cruise by in just 9 months,
coming out with one million dollars in its pocket, at a time when the
voting threshold was higher than it would be now? Are we really encouraging
town residents to throw away their civic right to decide the future of our
town?

I encourage everyone to inform themselves about the proposals that will be
put to a vote on December, 2nd. Lincoln Residents for Alternative Housing
will be sharing their own proposal with town residents ahead of the HCAWG
meeting on the 21st.