Thanks for the response Tom.  Score one for Adobe customer service.  :-)
I think I mostly understood that.  But, I don't understand: you *don't*
have to declare your script's properties at the beginning of a js
script?  And how do you distinguish between declaring a global and a
property at the beginning of a js script?  Isn't the scope equivalent
where you have to declare them?  After all, in an AS2 external class, I
declare those props at the beginning.  Isn't it similar here?

- MM

In JS syntax "this" is implicitly available and so you don't need to
include it as a passed parameter to the creator (beginSprite) function
in your script, doing so causes the compiler to obviously choke
(producing the formal parameter error you are citing). Just rename it or
exclude it, but keep in mind that something akin to the 'me' parameter
will be passed to beginSprite and any method calls made off the sprite,
but in your scripts you can always implicitly use 'this' without ever
having to declare it (and also without declaring your properties at the
top of your script like you did).