On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 10:27:44 -0800, Buzz Kettles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

At 5:06 PM +0100 1/16/06, you wrote:
On 16-jan-2006, at 16:34, Rob Romanek wrote:

Actually you don't need to use the syntax of float(1.1) above. Just use 1.1, any time you put a float into your operation the result will be a float value. Try it in the message window.

Hey, you're right! I'm pretty sure this used to be different in version ??? (i've used dir for more time than I care to remember)
Never noticed it had changed.

it's always been this way - I've never used float - I just multiply by 1.0

Me too. My guess is that the original posts use of float() appeared when doing division

put 3/2
--1
put 3/float(2)
--1.5000

and then just got incorporated into other math functions. But adding that good ol decimal place is enough to guarentee float results

put 3/2.0
--1.5000

Rob