> I think the only test that would be worthwhile would be with the
> shipping HW/SW. A single p4 with 945 integrated graphics
> won't inform us much about a dual 2.0 yonah with a 1600 card.
> Likewise I suspect that the shipping 10.4.4 UB and rosetta are
> significantly different than the version that came on dev boxes.

Agreed, the DTK boxes are not the best to evaluate what real world
performance will be like but at a minimum, the shipping hardware is
supposedly faster than these DTK machines. We have been told that the
DTK boxes also feature OS-level differences and Apple has informed us
that they are not going to be supported and that we're to exchange them
for current shipping hardware (a 17" iMac machine). Unfortunately for me
I work at a company that now has *hundreds* of these DTK machines, all
of which need to get exchanged, and all of which need to be done in
groups to avoid extra cost and hassle so I'm not exactly sure when that
will happen.

> Maybe you have updated the SW. Are you running the 10.4.4 GM?

Nope, 10.4.4 is _not_ supported on the DTK machines and is not
available, the DTK machines are capped at 10.4.3 and will not accept a
10.4.4 install (that version of the OS simply won't run on these boxes).
Thus I'm definitely testing on less-than-comparable hardware, but it's
what I've got to offer while awaiting my machine exchange.

> WRT benches, I don't have anything current. This one has an onscreen
> frame counter, and the framerate may be capped. Its about 10k polys
> and plays acceptably on macs from 4 years ago (when it was made).
>
> http://www.throbbing.com/bikerace

Using your movie the frame rate shown did bounce around a lot, I saw
numbers as low as 6-8 fps, but also as high as 40-50 fps, but in general
it hovered in the high-teens and 20's for on average. I know that we
have other test cases in house and that there may be more appropriate
pieces of benchmark content, but I felt it would be good to test
something you are personally familiar with thus my request for a piece
of your content. Anyway, we'll see how things shape up when my new iMac
gets here with respect to Shockwave in Safari under Rosetta. But that's
our starting point as we're obviously more interested in MacIntel
_native_ performance which should obviously be better than Rosetta
emulation.

Cheers,
Tom Higgins | Product Manager | Director & the Shockwave Player
Adobe Systems Incorporated

http://weblogs.macromedia.com/thiggins/