You're right, I was thinking of screen-size, but it was generally true on
Windows anyway.

On the Mac you can change it without too much problem (just remember to set
it back when you're done!).  On Windows, it used to NOT work for many
systems - nowadays it's more likely to work.  It used to be that most
systems were not capable of going over 256-colors, not true now.

But, I would still say that if the system is set to 256, there's probably a
reason for it - my guess is that they don't have the hardware to do better
than that, so if you ultimately want to run in 256 you'll need 256-color
art for best results.

- Tab