>Does the text-fix also work if the member is not on the stage, or
>not even in a sprite?

No. The sprite needs to be on-stage and visible for the speed-up to occur.

-If it only 'fixes' while on the stage, then it might have to do with
the sort of 'mini-updatestage' i anticipate is happening when
modifying staged text-members.

Sounds right to me, but I can't put any other text sprites on the stage,
because it's not in the design spec to do that. I wish I could, but I can't.

-Does a regular 'updateStage' also introduce a fix?

No. It doesn't. That was the first thing we tried.

-Have you tried to eliminate conceptual parts of your test, ie: is it
the number of objects alone that grinds, or is generically using
ancestry, or is it specific to some of your complex code - say
DOM-XML?

Yes. I have strategically commented out and/or segregated chunks of code to
other repeat loops in order to pinpoint where the slow-down is actually
occuring, and it is indeed a result of my object creation and complex
ancestry tree. I took out the calls to DOM-Lingo, and that definitely wasn't
the problem, either. It's really looking more and more like a by-product of
my complex architecture.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Christopher Watson
Sr. Software Engineer