At 21:15 24.04.2002 -0300, Rodrigo Peres wrote:
>Hi list,
>
>I'm about to develop an application that will need to store about 10.000
>pages of text and images. My users will need to be able to perform search in
>this texts. Based on this, i'd like to ask advices about the best aproach to
>store this data and search it. I'm experienced in SQL and dynamic languages
>for web, but never had done anything so big in director.

Hi Rodrigo,

Laurent already gave you 3 valuable links to alternatives. Now your
question has been asked before and there's lots of stuff in the archives,
so here is a link to v12 vs. valentina discussions on direct-l:

http://listserv.uark.edu/scripts/wa.exe?S2=direct-l&q=v12+and+valentina&s=&f
=&a=&b=

 From what I understand datagrip offers access to MS access .mdb, last time
I checked (which is some years ago) it was somewhat complicate to install.
Can't say much about v12, valentina does a subset of SQL, imports data from
.csv or via odbc and is astonishingly fast.

For a test I imported the text of the king james bible (4.622 KB text data,
ca. 5.600 kb valentina data base files, 31.000+ records).

A search a la "select * from BibleTable WHERE TextData LIKE 'Thou'" takes
80 - 110 milliseconds on my old athlon tb 800, lots of ram, while "select *
from BibleTable WHERE Book='2' AND Chapter='2'" returns after 1 ms.

best regards
daniel plaenitz