I think the answer is "no". I just uploaded the W3D files to a HTTP
server using FTP as binary Raw Data. You mean I have to map the W3D
suffix to a MIME type in the HTTP server application... that seems
logical in an Internet backwards way. I guess an old Mac server won't
be preconfigured for this.

Thanks for this interesting clue!

-Andreas