yes
(This could this have anything to do with it)

But most modern machines work fine.

note: The installed directSound version must be 'Director-useful' in
order for Director to default to it (which is why NT always fails -
it doesn't support useful directSound).

Perhaps that machine/OS has a version of directSound that is causing
Director to default to Macromix.

perhaps you could try this in your project's startMovie handler

if the soundDevice = "Macromix" then the soundDevice = "QT3Mix"

hth

-Buzz