On Saturday, October 19, 2002, at 02:48 AM, Robert Tweed wrote:

What is it, exactly, you want users to be able to paste? There could
yet be workarounds.
Anything the user has in their clipboard ;-)
Welp, yer hosed. :D

Actually, I want to get as
close as possible to unobtrusive "it just works" functionality, where the
application will automatically handle whetever the user pastes in.
"Whatever" is just not feasible. Video? Flash? MP3?

The main
things I am interested in are formatted text (including hyperlinks, ideally)
and images.
Now that you can do. After the paste you can test for the member type. If it's a bitmap you don't need to know much more. If it's text you need to look for hyperlinks (in the case of HTML) or otherwise assume it's RTF/text. Only HTML, of course, would have a hyperlink, which would mean you'd just have to do an offset or similar search on the suspect item's HTML for an </a> closing tag. If it lacked links rendering it as RTF would be effectively the same as rendering it as HTML.

I think I would actually include buttons in the app. "Paste text", "Paste HTML", "Paste image". I know it's not as transparent as you might like, but it might really save you a lot of headaches later. Users work off those implicit cues, and stay within the presumed acceptable data types (most of the time).

Another option might be to make a downloadable stub app that imports only specific data types (rather than pasting) just to keep it kosher.

I'm also trying to remove all dependencies on text members so I
can replace them entirely with imaging Lingo based UI components.
You will have to have an interim step that uses text members for that.

This is
all for a website content management system, hence why it runs in Shockwave.
So perhaps a stub isn't all that infeasible. It would be a dedicated app, perhaps. Hard to guess really.

This is an interesting project, I must say. I presume you're going to be sending format information to a CGI, or doing setPref to keep it all in the page once done? Because, of course, saveMovie is also not available in Shockwave...

Warren Ockrassa | http://www.nightwares.com/
Director help | Free files | Sample chapters | Freelance | Consulting
Author | Director 8.5 Shockwave Studio: A Beginner's Guide
Published by Osborne/McGraw-Hill
http://www.osborne.com/indexes/beginners_guides.shtml