Can anyone tell me the details of text prerendering?

The docs say that turning on pre-rendering causes the text to be rendered when the
text cast member is loaded, instead of when it appears on the Stage. And that the Save
Bitmap feature aids this by saving a buffer image with the movie. But as far as I can
tell, the buffer image is
always saved when a pre-render option is selected. So I have to wonder about the
rendering-on-loding claim. Anyone know the inner workings?

Phil