Evan Adelman wrote:

> ... gotta love
> email misunderstandings. i was curious about what the original poster,
> Carl, was trying to do. i should have stated more clearly: "all true.
> now, Carl, you've got my curiosity going...."
> >>... though -- if you're not
> >> providing samples, where is the origination of the sound? through
> >> different clips the user supplies? just tones? .....?

In fairly close succession I did a project that assembled audio clips into sentences,
and I built a tool that reads in an AIFF file of say a vocabulary list being read and
writes out the individual words to individual AIFF files.

In the process of learning to write AIFF files at all, I was generating samples by
formula (mostly sine waves), saving them to external files and playing them back to
make sure they worked.

With those two concepts floating in my head I started to think about stringing
phonemes together, trying to find formulae for phoneme waveforms, and maybe, just
maybe, synthesizing speech (or music).

All idle thoughts really, pie-in-the-sky stuff.

A slightly more down to earth use might be the ability to produce sound effects as
needed and appropriate to changing situations.

Yeah, it would be a lot like imaging lingo, but for sound.

--
Carl West   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://eisen.home.attbi.com

I have no superfluous leisure; my stay must be stolen out
of other affairs; but I will attend you awhile.

           - Isabella, Measure for Measure, Act 3 Scene 1