Hi Troy,

The way Macromedia has explained this is that Director projectors don't actually hog
the cpu, they just eat up unused cycles.  If I recall correctly, this is aimed to
handle animation.  Other types of processing can afford to wait--being off by a tenth
of a second may not really
matter--but a tenth of a second in an animation produces a jerk in the motion.

When another application requests cycles, Director supposedly plays nicely.

Regards,

Daniel