On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 12:41 AM, Howdy-Tzi wrote:

The way Macromedia has explained this is that Director projectors don't actually hog the cpu, they just eat up unused cycles. If I recall correctly, this is aimed to handle animation.

Yeah; I believe taking the framerate down can reduce it, as of course can unchecking "animate in background" but if you have processes that must be running, that's not such a hot plan of course. ;)

Also looking over the cpuHogTicks setting might be of value here.

Thanks, I'm looking into this. I would agree that it does seem to "play nicely" most of the time. The disconcerting part is primarily the fact that projectors and shockwaves (nearly) always trigger a Powerbook's CPU fan. So whenever you launch a Director based app, after a few seconds it sounds like a little airplane revving up - something I normally associate with rendering in 3D or other computational heavy tasks... not something caused by a little app or utility.

It is not so big a deal in projectors which have a lot of video or real time animation. The ones that bother me are the little tools that I write which use OSControl xtra for all the interface components. They are so lightweight that it seems crazy to start the fans blowing - which also reduces laptop battery time, of course.

--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.