An up date on my problem.  I did some research on osVersion and found on
the macromedia website an ostest.dir file.  I magically turned it into a
dcr file and it detected Windows ME on my Windows ME file instead of
Windows 98.
I copied the code into my project and then tried to run it on the
windows ME machine.  It detected windows 98 (I knew this because of an
alert I had in the code).

I installed director on the windows ME machine to debug it.  The
uncompiled dir file detects windows ME.  So I compiled it on the windows
ME and blow me down it detects windows 98.

So the question is why?  Is there anything you know that would cause
this?

Code below.

Desperately Liz

Code

global osList
on startMovie
  osList=["Windows 98","Windows 2000","Windows NT","Windows ME","Windows
XP", "Windows 95"]
end

global osList
on exitFrame me

  --myOs is set to the actual property #osVersion,
  --this is done by retrieving the information from the property
osVersion

  myOs = getaProp(the environment, #osVersion)

  --using a repeat loop and walking through the list osList, we compare
  --the actual OS to one of the OS's in the list osList.

  repeat with i = 1 to osList.count
    myVar = osList[i]

    --using the 'contains' operator to determine if there is a match.
    --between the actual OS and our list (osList)
    --if a match is found the play head is sent to the corresponding
marker.
    if (myOs contains myVar) then
      alert myOS  -- testing purposes only
      go to frame string(myVar)
      exit
    end if
  end repeat

end

with
> the same results. Have I entered the dark zone or is there something
that
> could be causing this?
>
> I would try (the environment).osVersion, but frankly I don't know how
> use it.  I will have to look it up somewhere.
>
> My application is a CD that is time specific i.e. it gets replaced
every
> semester.  However you are right I should be checking for other OS's.
>
> Thanks
> Liz

Lingo-