Yep, there is a limit and 75 is just about what I remember. They said, during the development cycle, that it was to "avoid overtaxing the rendering system by letting users push this 3D text rendering past reasonable expectations."
Don't forget, though, that you can have more than one 3D text member/sprite. As long as you aren't trying to do a lot other than just display them that should be ok. If you start adding numerous animating 3D text sprites with lots of text you'll see performance problems.

Phil

Steve Clark wrote:

Is there a limit to the number of charters in a text field that will render in 3D? I have a text field with over 100 char. In it and seem to only render the first 75 or so. Is there a way to change that or is that just too many char. To render?