Hi there

I made a similar app which was basically a searchable street map of the
entire UK city of Cardiff. I initially started off using imaging Lingo to
copy the relevant section of the entire map however this was far too slow
when scrolling especially as the client required it to scroll at 10
different zoom levels.

I found that using a flash sprite was an ideal solution as it had the
ability to zoom built in and the performance of scrolling and zooming at the
same time was very good.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions about this approach.

Cheers

Paul

http://www.themediakitchen.co.uk