Thanks, Buzz and Kerry. Turns out that the onMouseUp handler was the culprit... I reset the locZ of the sprite to its original locZ there, and the property storing the sprite's original locZ was in the mouseDown handler. So, the locZ was getting set to 0 in the rightmouse case.

However, mouseUpOutside getting fired off by a rightMouseUpOutside doesn't make any sense to me... if there are separate events for down and up, why not upOutside?

-Kurt