On Jan 16, 2004, at 11:17 AM, Slava Paperno wrote:

Thanks for responding, Warren. The monitor depth hasn't changed--it's 32 bits. And the same thing happens when I make a projector and run it elsewhere on 24-bit and 32- bit Windows installations.

I have several successive versions of the movie dir file, and this palettizing shows up in one and then persists in all subsequent versions--but not in an earlier version of the same movie. So it must be some change in the dir file that's causing it--not a system problem.

Besides, when the movie is running in authoring, and I reset an individual image's filename to point to the same file, it is displayed correctly. But when I restart the movie, all images again look like they have VGA palette.

Wait a minute. You mean these are LINKED files? As opposed to being imported directly into the cast?

Hm. Check the prefs and make sure you're not asking Director to do insane JPEG compression (it should be about 80% as default, I think).

Also make sure that your graphics person hasn't changed file formats on you partway through the project and failed to tell you.

Also make sure you're not actually using a system palette. You don't need it if you're running +8 bits, and if your movie properties are trying to impose a palette setting, you might be getting into trouble. Also make sure you don't have any palettes roaming about in the Score.

Warren Ockrassa | President, nightwares LLC [EMAIL PROTECTED] nightwares LLC | Consulting Programming http://www.nightwares.com/ Author | Director 8.5 Shockwave Studio: A Beginner's Guide Chapter samples | http://www.nightwares.com/director_beginners_guide/