I just discovered in Dir 8.5 and MX(9) that 'auto distort' is not working
properly when generating more than 90 bitmaps.

I don't have D7 installed any more, or I would test that. My guess is that
this is an old bug, and that it hasn't been fixed in MX 2004.

Steps to repro:

New bitmap member, draw a circle with a small mark at '12 oclock'
Select all
Click 'rotate 90' four times
Menu -> Xtras -> Auto Distort
Generate (anything up to) 90 new members

Actual result - Full 360 rotation is represented in the generated
sequence.

Now, try the same again, but this time generate 91 (or more) members

Expected result - the last member should be look almost exactly the same
as the first one - a full 360 degree rotation.

Actual result - Seems to get to about 280 degrees of rotation by the last
member, rather than the full 360. (Rough guess)

Screwing up at 90 hints at some less-than-smooth trigonometry under the
hood, although this issue is not peculiar to bitmap rotation: 'Warp' also
has a similar issue. (Didn't try 'skew' or 'perspective').

Another thing when doing 'auto distort' - if you use 'rotate right' (the
one with the 'clockwise' icon) the generated sequence is
*counterclockwise*. If you use 'rotate left', the generated sequence is
clockwise. (This has been 'broken' for as long as I remember, and remains
counter intuitive).

Workaround (hah!) is to use imaging lingo (slower, and requires coding
experience). Anyone written a tool miaw to make 'auto distort' obsolete?

(I also noticed that 'auto filter' slipped out of MX without a murmur. I
actually had this working at one time, but it was pretty horrible. I think
it's a shame we can't use 'filter bitmap' in imaging lingo.).

You might not think anyone uses 'auto distort', but I do, especially when
I am teaching, because it's a quick way of getting an animated series of
bitmaps together.

Brennan