> Can anyone tell me if I could run into problems if a user
> has so many contacts that it would exceed the maximum length
> of a string?

You don't need to put your property list into a string; you can write it
directly with:

fileIoObj.writeString( string( pList_Of_Contact_Data ))

and read it back directly with:

pList_Of_Contact_Data = value( fileIoObj.readFile() )

> Or alternatively suggest a better way to do this.

No, this is a good way.

> Should I be using fields to store this data instead
> of a property list - if so why?

I wouldn't.  Lists should be faster than shoving data in & out of fields,
especially if there's a ton of data.  And writing a txt file will probably
be faster than saveMovie or save castLib.

HTH
Rob

* Rob Wingate, Software Human    *
* http://www.vingage.com         *