I tend to use V12 - a database file. It might be an overkill for what you
need, but its quick to search and sort, can be password protected, and makes
coffee for you in the morning. FileIO is probably easier (and cheaper), and
if you are only writing to the file one or twice, you shouldn't have any
problems with FileIO's flakey memory handling.

You'll need FileIO to get the System directory so you can store stuff on the
user's hard disk, and if you're copying anything from the CD that you intend
to write to under Windows, make sure that the file attributes are set to be
not 'read-only' (files copied from a CD will by default be set to 'read
only'.

Luke

on 30/8/00 10:16 PM, Paul Steven at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am creating an app that contains an email address book. I therefore need
> to allow the user to store details of all their contacts. After sifting
> through all my Director books I have come up with 3 solutions - using
> setPref and GetPref, Saving a castlib with a field in, or using FileIO.
>
> What would people recommend for this task - I will be running the game from
> a CD-Rom and it is cross platform. (Using Dir 7.02)
>
> If I do end up using FileIO - I forsee a problem with the fact that the app
> will be running from a cd - how does the app know where to store the text
> file - is there a path variable in lingo that will work for such a situation
> on both mac and pc. Obviously the variable "the applicationPath" won't be
> suitable because it will be on the cd and therefore non-writable.
>
> With setPref - I am worried that the 32K maximum won't be sufficient to hold
> say thousands of contacts in the worst case scenario.
>
> Any help on this matter would be much appreciated
>
> Paul

Luke Wigley
Multimedia Director/Producer
Mecca Medialight Pty Ltd

Mecca Medialight:                       Medialight Sound Studio:
111 Moor Street                         1 Bakehouse Lane
Fitzroy, Vic. 3065                      North Fitzroy, Vic. 3068
Tel +613 9416 2033                      Tel +613 9416 2033
Fax +613 9416 2055                      Fax +613 9416 2055

www.medialight.com.au