<snip>on the PC side once I burn a disc the file isn't read any more.
Everything works fine in authoring mode on the PC but when I copy the files
to my Mac and burn a disc I get an I/O error  when I run it on a PC.</snip>

All files on a CD are read-only-  PC or Mac.

If you are only trying to read the files, you should open them using
the write only mode (1).

If you are trying to write to a file, you will have to write to a file on
the user's hard drive.

If you copy the file from the CD to the user's hard drive, (pc) it will
maintain
its read-only attribute. You will have to use something like BuddyAPI to
reset its attributes.

Or, better yet- create a new file on the user's hard drive using the
information
you read from the read-only file on the CD.

hope this helps,

Stephen Ingrum
LeagueofDesign.com
www.leagueofdesign.com