jlv...
Have you looked into FileXtra? It comes with Director and is X-platform.
It does exactly what you want.
Here is the code to open the dialog. (Watch for email line breaks)
This line will give you the path and name of the file the user has selected.

fileToOpen = FileOpenDialog("C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Director 8\",
"dir", "Open file...", 1, 1)
put fileToOpen

Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction.

Later.
...Neil