> wants me to create a way of opening a Powerpoint slideshow from within
> the dossier

If you use BuddyAPI xtra, you can test to see if PowerPoint is installed
(baFindApp) and then launch the PowerPoint file (.ppt/.pps) with the open
command, by using something like this:

x = baFindApp("ppt)
if x <> "EMPTY" then
  -- file exists...open it
   Result = baOpenFile( PowerPointFileName , State )
   -- check results just in case it craps out
end if

BuddyAPI comes with Director & you are allowed 2 free commands. I would
recommend HIGHLY the Buddy xtra.

if you don't have buddy, you should be able to use:

open "PowerPointFileName" with "powerPointAppPath"

one of the problems with this is that there is no guarantee that :
a) PowerPoint is installed on the machine (I think it will just do nothing,
but not positive)
b) "PowerPointAppPath" is in the same location on every machine..

I hope this helps...

Nick Youmans
FutureMedia