>If the mouse isn't to the right of the screen Kerry's routine would be
>quite a bit faster. On average his routine should come out a tiny bit
>faster than mine.

A little different test shows this more clearly. I left Colin's test as is,
except I reordered my nested if series to:

on mt2
   if the mouseV > 370 then
     if the mouseH > 385 then
       if the mouseH < 475 then
         if the mouseV < 393 then

Most of the time, the mouse should be outside of the rectangle. This
accounts for that--my previous post didn't.

On my machine, the empty handler took 4 milliseconds; the all-in-one took
44 milliseconds; the nested if's varied from 16 to 44; and the inside()
check took 29.

I ran 250 iterations of the frame script, and the average time for the
nested if approach was 21 milliseconds, or roughly 40% faster than the next
fastest approach.

Of course, as Colin pointed out, in this case, a few milliseconds doesn't
make that much difference. This particular one is more theory than
practice, but it's something worth knowing :-)

In Gopinath's case, he wants to check the coordinates on mouseUp, and he
was talking about a parent script. If I understand him right, I don't think
I would use any of these approaches--he would potentially have numerous
objects checking the mouseUp event, and it could be a nightmare to debug.

In his case, I think it's better to attach a mouseUp script to a
transparent sprite. That can all be done in an OOP framework, and would be
less prone to bugs.

Cordially,
Kerry Thompson
Learning Network