Hi Mattias

You would be correct in assuming that shockwave will not allow you to use
importFileInto, however, there is a way that you could quasily fake it
though. Rainer mentioned that he has an ASP server so you might be able to
try something like:

In ASP page use the file manipulation aspect of ASP such as the
FileSystemObject to select a local file to upload to the server, assuming
that you have a directory on the server that allows read/write (Please note:
I'm only guessing on the FileSystemObject as a possible method to upload,
I've never used it and only glanced at the documentation once or twice so I
might be completely out to lunch here).  I haven't worked with uploading
files to a server so there might very well be a much better method to use
than what I'm suggesting.

 Then once uploaded, setting a session variable that contains the relative
path between the shockwave piece and the file in question (or the absolute
path) and then having shockwave do a preloadNetThing on the file to download
it, then setting the filename of an existing image to that file's URL. The
trick is to communicate back to the shockwave piece to tell it that there is
a file to get.  This would be a rather big headache unless the game was set
up a little differently. I would perhaps set it up so that you have standard
asp page that allows the user to load the file to the server, create the
session variable then move from that page into the game page. That way the
session variables contents could be written into a sw parameter in the
object and embed tags. Then you could read the parameter, load the image
from the server and go away to the races. Alternatively you could have the
shockwave piece poll the server at a set interval to see if the session
variable is set and then get its contents using GetNetText or postNetText
but that would be rather connection intensive especially for a modem user.

Shockwave.com uses a special Xtra that they had created for them that will
allow you to select a file from a specific folder on the enduser's computer
to upload. You might be able to access the dswmedia folder in the shockwave
directory without the use of an Xtra, but then you'd have to do some
explaining to people on how to get the file into that directory (which
depending on OS etc is in a different location so that becomes quite a
challenge to cover all the bases on as well.

Sincerely

Mark

Mark R. Jonkman
Mark R. Jonkman Consulting
ADDRESS: 20 Windermere Crt., Guelph, ON, CANADA N1E 3L4
PHONE: 519-837-8509
EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]