Hi,

I hopre that the following will be useful:

>If it is 600X480 then I want to continue else I would like
> to change the
>settings to 600 X 480. When the user clicks the exit button
> I would like
>to reset the settings to what they were when the movie was
> launched i.e.
>to the user's screen resolution.

I am not sure which platform(s) you are looking for this functionality. Also
the resolution you are specifying is not a standard one, it is usually
640x480 not 600x480. That said, UpdateStage sells a utility Xtra called the
DisplayRes Xtra which performs this task for Windows. If you look at the
information on our site about DisplayRes we provide you with some
alternative solutions for the Mac.

The DisplayRes Xtra lets you...

Find out about the capabilites of the current Windows 95/NT display device
(screen sizes, color depths, etc.)
Find the currently active display size and color depth (because Director's
own 'the desktopRectList' and 'the colorDepth' do not reflect changes to the
display mode until the projector is started again)
Change the display mode immediately if possible
Change the default display mode and restart or shut down the computer if
necessary to accomplish the change of modes, if the display mode can not be
changed immediately
Reset the monitor to the default display mode.

Price: $99.00
Platforms: 32-bit Windows (alternative Mac solutions)
Director versions supported: 5,6,7,8 Authorware 3.5 and 4
Author: Glenn Picher

>How to check whether a specific application is installed on
> a users system.

The MasterApp Xtra contains a function specifically designed for that
purpose named

  mappLocateExecutable()

It returns the path to the executable registered to handle the document at
the file path specified. MasterApp gives you broad control over other
applications from your Director presentation. The most common application
for MasterApp is building connectivity between your Director piece and
various Web browsers and Web pages. However, MasterApp is much more powerful
than this basic use, including dozens of methods for launching, monitoring
and controlling external applications.

Price: $299.00
Platforms: 32-bit Windows, Win 3.1, Mac
Director versions supported: Director 4,5,6,7,8
Author: Glenn Picher

MasterApp and DisplayRes are commercial Xtras sold by UpdateStage. You find
out more information, download an evaluation version or purchase the Xtra
here:

 http://www.updatestage.com/xtras/xtrahome.html

I hope that this information is useful.

Cheers,