> I have looked in my Director books for this one! I need the
> user to click on
> a button to open a pdf so they may print from it if necessary
> whilst the cd
> is running. The only thing i can find is to use the open
> command but skips
> details and doesn'g go into it much more than that!
>
> I will probably need to perhaps detect is someone has Acrobat
> or can i
> supply on disk and have it open the pdfs from that? Any help
> on how i go
> about this would be fantastic!!!

> I use that but i want to know one more thing that i want to
> search excel
> in any system because in each system i don't know the excel path so i
> want to search that
> so want that script if any one can know that then write me mail

Hi,

There are two things at issue here:

1 - finding the path to Acrobat, if it exists on the user's machine

2 - opening it and the appropriate PDF file

Using an appropriate Xtra, you can combine both of these into a single
process. i.e. Looks in the appropriate place for the path & extract it for
you, then use it that information to launch the application. One such Xtra
is MasterApp from UpdateStage. In addition to a great many other functions,
MasterApp will automatically find the path to a given executable program
based on the relationship between the document and the application.
Following is a few paragraphs from the on-line docs that you may find
informative:

******

MasterApp

The launch utility methods mappLocateExecutable, mappOpenDocument and
mappPrintDocument rely on an association made by the system between a
document and its application. The same mechanism that makes an application
launch when you double-click it on the desktop, allows these MasterApp
methods to launch the right app. Mac and Windows systems handle the
association process differently. Understanding how the two systems work will
help you use the launch methods successfully.

On Windows, a file's extension associates it with an application. You can
see the associations that are already set up on the system by choosing
View -> Options from any Windows Explorer menu and clicking the File Types
tab. Clicking the Edit button with any file type selected will show the
actions the system can perform on a file of that type. The "open" action
should always be listed. Clicking again on the Edit button with the "open"
action highlighted will display the path to the application that will launch
if the document is double-clicked.

The information displayed in View -> Options, is coming from the Windows
Registry. An application's installer makes new file associations for its
document types when it is installed. When you edit the information in
View -> Options you are actually making changes to the registry. You can
view the registry entries that make file associations directly by using the
system utility REGEDIT.EXE and viewing the category HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

On the Mac, a file's creator code determines what application will open when
you double-click it. A doc opens with an application that has the same
creator code. You can view a Mac file's creator code with Apple's ResEdit
which is available off of the updateStage download area. However a file's
creator code is not actually stored inside the file itself. It is stored in
the desktop database of the volume where the file resides. The path to the
associated application is also stored in the desktop database.

******

MasterApp is a commercial Xtra from www.updatestage.com

Price: $299.00
Platforms: 32-bit Windows, Win 3.1, Mac
Director versions supported: Director 4,5,6,7,8
Author: Glenn Picher

For more information and a downloadable den=mo version go here:

  http://www.updatestage.com/xtras/xtrahome.html

HTH,

Al Hospers
Marketing Associate