From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of B Elisabeth Parker
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 10:20 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RE: <lingo-l> oops-here is the subject: DIRECTOR DEMAND
(OT)

(apologies for the off-topic post -- but i'm still going to post it.)

At 03:54 AM 12/06/01 -0700, sreedhar reddy wrote:
>hi nik
>i from india and yes i may have to agree with you that
>there may be strong regional differences. In india i
>can say that we are still in nascent stages in
>director and you can find very few people who are good
>in director.

...whereas i'm from Toronto, Canada, and i have noticed a sharp downward
trend in jobs that demand knowledge of Director and Lingo. at the same
time, there is a steady rise in the number of people who are interested in
such a career. i teach at a local design and technology college, partly
because it's good experience, partly because it lets me use cutting edge
technology, but mostly because i can't find studio work.

there is definitely a strong movement towards web development using Flash
and associated databasing software, however. if you know Flash 5, have a
good grasp of actionScripting, and are at least passingly familiar with
SQL, Oracle, or Access, then you've got a job. i haven't really motivated
myself to learn Flash, because i love Director, but i guess i'm going to
have to switch obsessions. <thpbltbltblt>

er.. anyway. to address your original questions, Nik:

        >i am based in london (uk) and have realised a
        >general reduction in demand for lingo and
        >director programming over the past 6-10 month
        >or so. clients seem to be more keen to get their
        >assets moved into more *web friendly*
        >formats ie flash, javascript/dhtml/xml/dom
        >environments rather than using shockwave. is
        >this your experience as well on an
        >international scale?

as i mentioned at the beginning of this email:  yes. in fact, one of my
fellow teachers keeps going on and on about how CD-ROMs (as a software
platform) are *dead*, and how so many companies in Toronto haven't done a
CD-ROM in years, and how it will be another 5 years at most before CD-ROMs
(and DVD-ROMs) disappear completely, and the whole world turns into one
great, giant spiderWeb.

grr. can you tell that i'm bitter? does *anyone* have any information that
can ease the pain of the horrible run-on sentence i've just spewed out?
please tell me that my co-worker isn't right. i'm not interested a nervous
breakdown just now.

        >what do you think of the new 3d capabilities of
        >director 8.5? also, how do you rate the chance
        >that director is used for dvd authoring (in addition
        >to the mastering/formating process of applications
        >such as DVDCreator, etc) on a larger scale?

i haven't tried Director 8.5, because i'm wondering if it's worth it at
all. <shrug> my thoughts are that i should skip it altogether and change my
allegiance to Flash (which, by the way, i do NOT want to do). as far as the
chance that Director is used for DVD authoring... well, i think it's
decent. i did some freelance work for a post-production company that was
creating interactive press kits for Warner Bros., and they were really into
the whole Director thing (versus Flash, which was how they first tried to
create the press kit).

honestly, though, unless someone can refute the "five-year death" of
CD-ROMs, i'm seriously considering leaving this field. maybe i should go
back to IT... there's *tonnes* of IT work in Toronto these days. :P

cheers,

                                parker

--
"But that was in another country, and besides, the wench is dead."
                                - C Marlowe, "The Jew of Malta"